Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The good and bad of this part of language-learning...

This part of learning a language is a lot of fun and a lot of trouble. On one hand, you're finally getting to a point where you can actually say things that you might actually want to say! On the other hand you're at the point where you have to try to keep it all together a little. You can't let the first stuff you learned slip out while you're putting the new stuff in... and it feels like the vocabulary necessary to fuel the language you're trying to use is exponentially larger and larger.

It also is the point where you start seeing more and more of the "flaws" that the people who started the language didn't plan that well, at least as far as what effect it will have on people trying to learn it. I'm, of course, referring to things like irregular verbs and "boot" verbs. (By the way, I believe we were supposed to be given a list of those to memorize at some point, right? Just remembered that...)

There are, of course, other things that are popping up that help make learning the language trickier than it would be otherwise. Prepositions, for example, are always a concern to me at this point. I think I'm just going to use "en" from now on unless we've been told specifically otherwise. In fact, I may have done that on today's in-class writing.

Reflexive verbs are a little tricky but I don't think they're really bothering me too much so far. I usually understand the thought behind why you'd be using those verbs in particular reflexively. Once again, there are plenty of situations where you "just have to learn" that that's what is used, but in this case they seem to make a little sense at least.

Oh well, I guess that's all for now. I have a friend who just came back from living in Argentina for a little bit and traveling through other parts of South America so maybe I'll talk to him and have some more "cultural" things to put in here next time.

No comments: