Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chapter 5 and 6

In Chapter 5 we learned about the appropriate uses of ser, estar, and haber. Ser is used to identify the locations of events and adjectives that describe nouns, haber (hay) is only followed by nouns, and estar is used to mark location in general, with adjectives to indicate a change from the norm or from your expectations, and to indicate current state of health/emotions. We also learned about fiestas and celebrations and the different social normals for the spanish culture. Although it has been a few weeks, when learning about the different names for family members we brought pictures to class. This helped us learn how to identify the different members of our family while also getting to know a little bit more about our classmates families.
In Chapter 6 we started learning the ordinal adjectives, (first-primero, second-segundo, third-tercero, etc.) We also finally started getting more into identifying the different parts of a sentence with pronouns, direct objects, and indirect objects. I'm still getting mixed up with the sentence arrangement since it can't be written in the same way as in English, and I keep catching myself trying to write it in Spanish literally from English. The past couple of weeks we have also been learning the foods. Words that are finally not extremely similar to the ones in English, I've actually had to study the foods. With the foods, we have learned how to write recipes using the impersonal "se" followed by verbs such as "cortar"-to cut. Today we did our presentation and I think it was a good ending to the whole semester. Everyone was able to be relaxed, have fun with spanish, and maybe make fun of the fact we still have a lot to learn. Hopefully I won't forget all of what I have learned this semester over summer, but I'm sure if it leaves me it will all come back as soon as classes start up. ... or at least I hope!

No comments: