Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In chapter three we learned some pretty useful things. I liked the "tener que + infinitive" and "tener ganas de + infinitive" because those are a part of every day conversation. These phrases mean "I have to (blank)" and "I feel like (blank)". These are some of the most useful phrases that we've learned that can actually be used in casual conversation. We also learned reflexive verbs. These were the hardest for me to understand. I have a hard time remembering which are reflexive and which are not considered reflexive. With reflexive verbs you use the reflexive articles (me, te, se, nos) along with verb. Another tricky part was the fact that several of these verbs are stem changing. It's hard because there is no set rule, you just have to memorize them. Chapter three also taught us about the present progressive tense. This was also useful because we can use this form to say what we are doing at that moment. I like this because it sounds more natural, like the way I would normally talk. The present progressive is basically adding an -ing to the end of the verbs. For example: "Estoy estudiando" means "I'm studying." Finally, we learned about telling time and describing our schedules.
On the cultural side of the chapter, we learned about the differences between the school systems. We also learned that there are several false cognates when it comes to the vocabulary for school related items. For example, "colegio" doesnt mean "college" and "facultad" doesnt mean "falculty".
I also loved the videos! They were so great!

No comments: