Monday, February 18, 2008

Chapter 2/3

As the class is progressing, I have been finding it really hard to understand the fast speaking Spanish. In the first videos and examples all the speakers spoke slow and steady. That way, it was easy to tell what they were saying.

Now we get to hear all sorts of speakers from all sorts of Spanish speaking countries. Today in lab we were listening to this pair of people talk about how one of them wants to take a Spanish course. I thought they were from Spain because they had lisps. I could not understand a word of what they were saying!! It took thirty minutes for me to decipher a few phrases.

In class Alejandra told me they were from Chile. That confuses/frustrates me! Why are there so many different accents? I know there are a lot of different accents for English. This makes learning a language so hard. It makes traveling and applying languages very hard as well. I just hope that once I get vocabulary down I will be able to understand a speaker who has a different sounding accent.

No comments: