Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Relationship With Spanish

I first developed my fascination with the Spanish language when I was younger and I liked to come home from school and watch the novelas. I thought it was a fun game to try to figure out what was going on by the actors' expressions and body language. If only I'd tried to focus a little more on what they were saying, I may have understood a little more. After our few weeks of studying, I've realized that Spanish and English are amazingly similar and learning Spanish doesn't seem as hard as it used to. Between cognates, loan words, and context words, it's not difficult find a basic understanding of what even the most complex Spanish texts are saying. These words alleviates some of the difficulty of learning "a whole new language." The latin roots in both of these languages are apparent because of all of their similarities. At the end of the day, I think that my changing perspective on the acquisition of Spanish will help me to more easily learn because it's not much unlike the language that I am familiar with.

No comments: