Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blog 1

It's interesting to me that although there are many similarities between the spanish and english culture, it seems that in spanish there is always a small distinction that sets it a part from our own culture. For example, we have the ever popular "sweet sixteens," whereas in spanish this celebration occurs on your fifteenth birthday as a quinceƱera. We have the typical birthday party, yet in the spanish culture this is a "coming out as a lady," almost like an introduction into society celebration. The entire process is intensified compared to what we have all be accustomed to at parties and it really is a special, monumental event.
Another difference that I have experienced is the difference in greetings and signs of acknowlegement that are given in the spanish culture compared to ours. I have a friend that when visiting her house her parents immediately kiss you on each cheek when greeting you. I'm not sure if this is customary in majority of spanish homes, but I have always noted that as part of her culture. In the english culture, unless you're telling your grandparents goodbye, it would be extremely odd to randomly kiss someone when you tell them hello or goodbye. I just think this portrays a difference in levels of comfort and affection that are allowed or expected in the spanish culture opposed to our own.
Slang is something used often by us as young adults, and as expected there are just as many uses of slang in spanish. I found it interesting, though, that many of the english slang words we use aren't translated properly into spanish and vice versa. I knew a group of hispanics at my high school that used to "Que padre " when indicating that something was "cool" but as a beginner of the language, most english speakers would translate "padre" as "father." But obviously, it's just slang, and I'm sure there's many words that we use that may be misconceived by a spanish speaker.

No comments: