Thursday, April 10, 2008

Today we had a substitute from Puerto Rico who answered numerous questions that we drilled at him throughout class after we took our quiz. I learned quite a bit about Puerto Rico from him that I found really interesting and honestly, I might just be considering good old Puerto Rico for my spring break destination next year.
Puerto Rico became a U.S territory in 1898. In Puerto Rico the people vote for their own governor and do not participate in voting for the U.S president. A lot of people in the class were concerned with the politics of Puerto Rico.
When asked about the climate in Puerto Rico our teacher exclaimed that "todos es tiempo el verano." Claiming that the weather is always like summer there. We asked about the beaches and he said that the beaches are beautiful and the waters are warm. This only makes Puerto Rico sound more and more appealing to me. Also, I figured that if I decide to visit there sometime that my spanish will be very useful because he said that less than half of the people in Puerto Rico know english.
We asked many questions about the culture and I was interested in learning about the difference between the food there and here. He told us that the food there is not like Mexican food with burritos and tacos and all the spicy food. He said that the food consists of beans and rice as a side and then some form of meat but the food being spicy is not typical of Puerto Rican food. In terms of holidays Puerto Rico has many due to the fact that they share their own as well as some U.S holidays. One holiday that they celebrate in Puerto Rico that we don't, takes place on January 6th and is called "Three Kings."

No comments: