Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Blog 3

I feel like in chapter 3 we've started to learn things that we would actually use when speaking spanish. Of course I know it's best to be able to say "The hour is..," "I walk.." etc.. learning how to say reflexive verbs and present progressives is something that we will use more. With that said, I am getting more confused. I know that once I get it down and we more on to more advanced Spanish I'm going to think that learning my -ings was so simple. But for now, it's still confusing. I understand the way in which the verbs change when present progressive: -ar=-ando, -er=iendo, -ir=iendo, but when to use them and they are only reflexive is still confusing me. When I think about it it makes perfect sense, which is nice, but I still haven't grasp the ability to freely say sentences without pausing and thinking about how I am trying to say it in English and then comparing it to how it is said in Spanish. Sentence order too is still something I'm trying to learn. I am so set in the way things are said in English, and in Spanish, like in all other languages, things are said slightly different. Fortunately, I am starting to recognize words easier (of course it's still easier to see on paper than the way the words are pronounced verbally), but put things in sentence form myself, outloud, is something I still freeze up when doing.
For the cultural part of this blog I really don't know what all to say. We haven't focused too much on cultures for chapter 3 except for a few activities about spanish schools and music. Mariachi bands are something I find neat in the spanish culture. Although you can easily find a Mariachi band playing at a Mexican restaurant or hired for weddings, you don't ever see American bands walking up to tables while people eat. Obviously we too have bands, but the way in which the Mariachi band entertains is unique.

No comments: