Monday, February 18, 2008

Blog 2/Chapter 2

Chapter 2 was exponentially harder than Chapter 1. Hopefully, the trend doesn't continue. Chapter 2 introduced new concepts/ideas including interrogative words, estar, ser, gustar, and more hispanic culture. Out of all the topics, I had the most trouble with interrogatives. Throughout the semester, Ale has been stressing the importance of noun/verb/adjective agreement in terms of gender/number. When working with interrogatives, not only does gender/number matter, but even order is skewed compared to normal sentence structure. This is aggrivating because many interrogatives follow the form: Interrogative word, verb, object. However, depending on the interrogative word, the entire structure can be different. Putting that aside, we learned many differences between using Cual vs Que and Ser vs Estar. When comparing Ser vs Estar, interrogatives like Como and Que can have different meanings.

Basically, interrogatives and the listening activities are my problem areas. I had no problem with colors, numbers, adjectives, and the verb gustar. As new students, I know we aren't great at listening to Spanish dialogues. The test bothered me some because my slight deficiency in listening comprehension was taking away from my general knowledge of the subject material because references made from the video were constantly being referred to in questions.

Overall, I feel more confident when speaking though. A lot of the in-class activities are very helpful!

No comments: