Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I think Spanish when spoken by someone fluent can be a very beautiful language. It sounds so much more fluid than English. In the first Chapter we are basically covering the basics of Spanish.

Many think it is weird or unnecessary that there is an informal and formal way of speaking. But it is just like when you are around someone of higher authority or someone you respect and you call them "mam" and "sir."

The most confusing part of speaking Spanish is actually saying the words. In my head it's just like on a novela, all dramatic. I hear it coming out super smooth and fast. But when I begin to say it it take so much more effort and it takes a lot for me not to stutter.

My mom is mexican. So something I have noticed and really love is that that most people talk with their hands. It is so much more expressive. It is a lot less serious compared to when Americans talk. I have a lot of reasons for wanted to learn Spanish, but one contributing factor is that my mom and grandma gossip in Spanish. Or they say things they don't want people around them to know. Eventually I hope I will be fluent enough to understand them :).

No comments: